Monday, February 26, 2007

A Walk Down Memory Lane

Not only is the phone obsolete, so is the company

You don't see a lot of phone booths anymore, here in the age of the cell phone. What made this one special to me, though, is the name of the company. My very first client in Chicago was Illinois Bell, and I spent my first two years here going to their headquarters building in the Loop every day. But that was seventeen years and four name changes ago: Illinois Bell became Ameritech right as I was leaving the company, and then it became SBC, which is AT&T now. I don't even think the building is still office space anymore.

Wow. 17 years. That phone booth is seventeen years old. I've been here in the Midwest seventeen years. It feels like it was just yesterday sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment