Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Nanas

The Three Graces, closer

The Three Graces, by Niki de Saint Phalle. A few more shots can be found here.

These are some of the "nana"s on display at the Niki in the Garden exhibit at the Garfield Park Conservatory this summer and fall. I love the style and joy of their forms, and I especially loved the way the artist herself described them:

"Nanas are like goddesses to me, even superwomen of the sort, primitive tribes idolized. Perhaps they're aggressive -- that's what some men think. They certainly know what they want, but they are warm, not mean."

There were many other nanas exhibited, and I'll be making a return trip this month with my new camera to get better shots of them. I wasn't thrilled with how some of them came out, and it certainly wasn't the nana's fault! They were glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment